The Etiquette of Extensions(okay weaves!!)…
As some of you may know, there is level of protocol for all situations.
Yes, even weaves or extensions. While having a weave may have been a point of contention 10 years a go, a “good weave” or “good hair” is now even a status symbol. But a bad fake is just that, bad and fake. So I am bringing you my ten tips to social hair happiness when rocking your new locks or dealing with those that do:
If you are wearing a weave:
• Make sure that you get “good hair.” This does not indicate texture, but it indicates the quality and health of the weave hair. You want hair that will enhance your beauty, not bring it down.
• Make sure that the weave color and texture fit you. Blonde is not for everybody and blue hair…blue hair isn’t for ANYBODY!
• If you are going to wear synthetic hair, be mindful of the fact that it will not last as long and may need to be replaced more often to maintain your desired look.
• Patting the weave only makes you look “weavie”…and that is not a good look, wash your hair more often and do not allow your stylist to braid your real hair too tight-you will not have to “Pat Your Weave.”
• Do not lie about your weave. While it is OUT OF LINE to ask you if it is your hair-it is not necessary to lie about your hair when other people display ignorance.
• Be confident, look great and get it tightened often!!
If you are friends with an extension wearer:
• If you see a track or top of weft, tell your friend immediately. Do NOT let your friend be walking around looking a hot mess.
• If you are dating somebody with a weave, it is totally okay to ask about it. But don’t criticize the Remy.
• Remember that just because somebody is wearing a weave does not mean that they don’t have any hair, it just means that they are looking for a new look. But some people DO wear weaves because of hair loss, be sensitive to that as well.
• Do not pull, tug or grab a weave. Regardless of HOW the weave is being installed, it can actually damage the scalp if it is improperly being pulled.
Weaves, extensions, clips ins and more are fun and great increasers of beauty. But there is protocol even in wearing an extension of your hair and befriending friends who love extensions! Be courteous, be civil but also be Fierce!